Re: making a toolbar button globaly available

From: joakim
Subject: Re: making a toolbar button globaly available
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:56:50 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> The problem is that whenever you lookup [tool-bar] in global-map (and
> such a lookup takes place to find the map into which to add the
> pocketcompletion element), you receive a new keymap, built fresh by
> tool-bar-make-keymap.
>
> So you want to manipulate tool-bar-map directly.
> Note that tool-bar-map is buffer-local, so you won't be able to add
> elements truly globally.  For that you'll need to advise
> tool-bar-make-keymap :-(
>         Stefan

I think that it would be valuable to have a way of adding global tool
bar buttons. I'm not sure about the most elegant way of doing this, but
the below code at least works:

;map to store special global tool bar buttons in
(defvar global-tool-bar-map)

;this is an example of a global tool bar button for my pocketcompletion feature
(setq global-tool-bar-map
  (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
    (dolist (x '((pocketcompletion . "zoom-in"))
               map)
      (tool-bar-local-item
       (cdr x) (car x) (car x)  map))))

;redefinition of tool-bar-make-keymap-1
(defun tool-bar-make-keymap-1 ()
  "Generate an actual keymap from `tool-bar-map', without caching."
  (mapcar (lambda (bind)
            (let (image-exp plist)
              (when (and (eq (car-safe (cdr-safe bind)) 'menu-item)
                         ;; For the format of menu-items, see node
                         ;; `Extended Menu Items' in the Elisp manual.
                         (setq plist (nthcdr (if (consp (nth 4 bind)) 5 4)
                                             bind))
                         (setq image-exp (plist-get plist :image))
                         (consp image-exp)
                         (not (eq (car image-exp) 'image))
                         (fboundp (car image-exp)))
                (if (not (display-images-p))
                    (setq bind nil)
                  (let ((image (eval image-exp)))
                    (unless (and image (image-mask-p image))
                      (setq image (append image '(:mask heuristic))))
                    (setq bind (copy-sequence bind)
                          plist (nthcdr (if (consp (nth 4 bind)) 5 4)
                                        bind))
                    (plist-put plist :image image))))
              bind))
          (cons 'keymap (append (cdr global-tool-bar-map)
                  (cdr tool-bar-map)))
          ))

--
Joakim Verona