Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest 22.0.90
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 06:32:46 +0200

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 17:56:15 -0500, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
> Emacs pretest 23.0.90 is now available for download via FTP, at the
> following location:
>
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/emacs-23.0.90.tar.gz
>
> This is the first pretest for what will be the Emacs 23.1 release.  As a
> result, there may be packaging errors in the tarball, so please be on
> the lookout for problems with installation.
>
> Pretesters: please send an email to me reporting success or failure on
> your build platform.  In addition, please report bugs via
> M-x report-emacs-bugs, or send an email to address@hidden
> For questions, please email address@hidden

Thank you!

I have updated the FreeBSD editors/emacs-devel port to use this tarball
as the release source, instead of an older CVS snapshot.

Two things that I noticed during the package update are:

  - Now our FreeBSD specific src/alloc.c patch is part of the official
    release tarballs, so we can trim it from the Ports tree of FreeBSD.

    Yay, thanks for that...

  - While installing Emacs 23.0.90 in a temporary area, as part of the
    packaging list update, I noticed a message about missing files:

        Compressing *.el ...^M
        gzip: can't stat: ./quail/hangul3.el: No such file or directory^M
        chmod -R a+r /var/tmp/emacs/share/emacs/23.0.90/leim^M

    This may be a Makefile bug that has to be fixed, or there may be
    files missing from the release tarball.

>  - The RMAIL mail package was recently changed to use mbox instead of
>    Babyl for its internal format.  This part of Emacs may be less stable
>    than others; for safety, please back up your mail files before trying
>    the new Rmail.

FWIW, I have added this note to the package description for the update
of the FreeBSD package.  If there are bug reports sent to me but not
copied to address@hidden or address@hidden, I will copy
the emails to address@hidden

Happy pretesting everyone :-)