Re: What are those .gitignore files doing in the CVS?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What are those .gitignore files doing in the CVS?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 18:17:19 -0500

> Obviously any other people similarly using git to manage emacs locally
> will have similar problems.  Thus, .gitignore files are wanted.  Git is
> not some obscure system, and the read-only emacs git mirror is a useful
> and popular tool.

> I'm not sure why you even asked .... isn't the above pretty obvious?

I'd expect the Git mirror to work as follows:

First the Emacs-CVS is converted to an internal Emacs-Git, then a second
Emacs-Git (or maybe just another branch) is created which adds the
.gitignore files (and any other changes required/useful for Git, it
could remove the .cvsignore files as well for example).
Thereafter the internal Emacs-Git can be updated by an automatic script
which will also merge those changes into the external Emacs-Git.

That's how I do it for my Bzr branch, although Jason's Bzr repository
currently only corresponds to the "internal" Emacs-Bzr, so I haven't
bothered to create an external Emacs-Bzr because it's not widely
used enough.

So, as long as the mirror is only one-way I don't see a need for those
files to appear in the CVS.

        Stefan