Re: What are those .gitignore files doing in the CVS?

From: mail
Subject: Re: What are those .gitignore files doing in the CVS?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 20:00:13 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I agree here.  I think most people just want to get the source code via
>> their favorite method, hack a bit, and then be able to get a clean
>> "stat" or "diff".
>
> That's irrelevant.  My proposal is to push this responsibility on the
> people who maintain the mirror.
>
>> Anyway, since I use Git, I appreciate the addition of .gitignore to the
>> repository.
>
> Better would be to add it to the Git mirror without adding it to
> Emacs's CVS.  For you it wouldn't make any difference, except that you
> might even have a cleaner Git because additionally to adding
> .gitignore files, the mirror could remove the .cvsignore files, rename
> INSTALL.CVS to INSTALL.GIT, you name it.

I agree, having both a .gitignore and a .cvsignore (or .hgignore or
whatever) would be a bad thing. If the formats are all identical, a
single .vc-ignore and symlinks would ensure that they all stay
synchronized. If this is not the case (I haven't looked into it), then
having the maintainers of the mirrors take care of these conversions
accomplishes the same goal.

If we have .gitignore, .hgignore, .cvsignore, .fancynewvcsignore,
and 100 others, they will certainly become out of sync almost every time
someone updates them, and even if everyone is extremely disciplined,
they're redundant information.

*if* it's completely unacceptable for the maintainers of the mirrors to
 maintain these, *and* the formats are incompatible, perhaps these files
 could be generated from a .vc-ignore template during the build process,
 though this seems like more effort than it's worth.