Re: Recognize mbox files?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Recognize mbox files?
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:40:34 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > It just adds one or two X-SOMETHING headers, that's all.

But it changes the mtime, which may incite an automatic process,
depending on the system, and certainly destroys evidence about when
the most recent mail was delivered to it, etc.  Rmail should save the
file when it *needs* to record information about how it changed the
file contents, and not before.

 > > Otherwise, Rmail will have to be considered risky for use by mail
 > > admins.
 >
 > Heh, what it does nowadays is nothing compared with what it did before
 > the mbox merge: it would convert the file to Babyl!  How's that for
 > ``risky''?

It's totally unacceptable, and one of the reasons why I switched away
from Rmail two decades ago.