Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs lib-src/ChangeLog lib-src/emacsclient.c l...

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs lib-src/ChangeLog lib-src/emacsclient.c l...
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:05:38 +0100

> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 15:09, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>        * emacsclient.c (main): Always pass cwd via "-dir".  Pass the file
>>        names without prepending cwd to them, so Emacs uses its customary
>>        rules to determine how to interpret the file name.
>
> This change breaks useful Windows behavior.
>
> Previously:
>
>   C:\> g:
>   G:\> cd test
>   G:\test> c:
>   C:\> emacsclient g:myfile.txt
>
> opened g:\test\myfile.txt. Now it tries to open g:/myfile.txt.
>
> The problem is that the "Emacs [...] customary rules to determine how
> to interpret the file name" do not help, because the interpretation of
> g:myfile.txt depends on the shell where you do run emacsclient (you
> can perfectly have two different default directories in g: in
> different shell invocations).
>
>     Juanma

I think that indeed emacsclient should behave like most other
applications do these days, and always request absolute filenames of the
form:

   Protocol://path/to/resource

(NOTE: no special OS dependend directory separator)
In your example:

   g:/myfile.txt

which is what you requested, but for another reason I believe.
`g:' should be considered a _protocol_ `g' and therefore map to
`g:/myfile'.

See rfc1738 section 2.1 for more on this.

If emacsclient finds a relative filename that is

  1.) not starting with a protocol
  2.) not starting with a slash

it should try to make it absolute and add the `file:' protocol.

That way emacsclient would become much more usefull, than it is now.

We can open `file:///home/sebastian/.emacs' through find-file, but not
through `emacsclient file:///home/sebastian/.emacs' which is a bug
IMHO.

Best regards,

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472