Re: app termination / ns resources

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: app termination / ns resources
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:40:40 +0545

On Mar 11, 2009, at 6:12 PM, David Reitter wrote:

On Mar 11, 2009, at 5:59 AM, Adrian Robert wrote:

One final dying thought about this ;) -- the way it was prefs- panel <-> ns defaults <-> platform-specific settings was a neat way of keeping the NS-specific stuff, be it line spacing or modifier keys, out of .emacs, etc. so they would not interfere when moving a .emacs across platforms.

Yes, but the technical distinction of what is available across platforms is not a user-level category that merits aggregating these functions in a panel (vs. Emacs customization vs. Options menu vs. Lisp variables).

I'm not sure about this. Whether I were using W32 or Mac or anything else it makes sense as a user to split these out. Since if I'm an emacs user on other platforms, these will be exactly the things I don't know about and might want to set on moving to the new platform. But anway it doesn't matter since it will be removed, I was only mentioning it to point out a possible hazard (which turns out not to be a hazard) about transitioning to .emacs.