Re: paths are sensative to double separators

From: Sebastian Rose
Subject: Re: paths are sensative to double separators
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 11:26:26 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
> Mike Mattie <address@hidden> writes:
>> I have noticed that paths in Emacs are sensitive to double separators e.g:
>>
>> (load /foo/bar/baz.el)  ;; works
>> (load /foo/bar//baz.el) ;; broken
>>
>> The same behavior occurs with (find-file).
>>
>> This doesn't seem like a good thing. Is there a good reason for
>> it that I am not aware of ?
>
> It's a feature, as it makes filename entry more convenient, as you can
> enter absolute filenames without erasing the existing path when entering
> a filename.

Maybe stick with the current behaviuor of the filename prompting
functions (convenience), but instead of greying out the `/home/' part,
remove it from the prompt?

As for the rest, I feel it's sick to stick with behaviours different
from all the rest of OSs and applications around.

While I would have agreed to weeks ago, that this never was an issue, I
now changed my mind completely. It's the first time I collided with this
issue when working on org-protocol.el. There are some odd differences
between find-file versus server-visit-files, find-file versus `ls',
emacs versus posix, emacs versus other applications in general.

Could someone please enlighten me why to stick with this? It's soo
non-standard:

Case 1:

     sh$ ls /home/sebastian//xy.txt
     sh$ gedit /home/sebastian//xy.txt

  versus

     C-x C-f /home//sebastian//xy.txt

  (OK, convenience, agreed, adjust it a little and it's fine.)

Case 2:

     sh$ emacsclient file:///home/sebastian/xy.txt

   versus

     C-x C-f file:///home/sebastian/xy.txt

   What we get in server-visit-files is this:

     `/home/sebastian/file:/home/sebastian/xy.txt'

   Completely odd, isn't it?
   The `/home/sebastian/' part of it is completly weired and just
   guessing.

   Please compare:

     sh$ gedit file:///home/sebastian/xy.txt
     sh$ mozilla file:///home/sebastian/xy.txt
     ... nautilus and _all_ the others but some GNU tools (ls...)

   Clearly an URL is reuested here, and the scheme is "file". But
   URL-schemes are completely ignored when it comes to emacsclient (and
   other GNU tools like `ls').

Resolving URL schemes would solve many problems (think of the scheme "c"
in "c:/autoexec.bat") and make emacs more usable (emacsclient "ftp://...";).

Regards,

   Sebastian

--
Sebastian Rose, EMMA STIL - mediendesign, Niemeyerstr.6, 30449 Hannover
Tel.:  +49 (0)511 - 36 58 472