Re: paths are sensative to double separators

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: paths are sensative to double separators
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 15:37:50 -0400

    Miles Bader gave a different explanation for emacs's behaviour. It
    seems odd to me that an interactive feature (a good one, too) should
    influence how path names are interpreted in code, however.

This conversion concerns entering file names in the minibuffer,
and does not occur in most functions when they are called from Lisp code.

In particular, I find that find-file called from Lisp converts //
equivalent to one /.  However, strangely there is a difference between
(find-file "~/xmail/stallman.xmail") and (find-file "~/xmail//stallman.xmail").
The former asks me whether to convert the Babyl file to mbox.
The latter just visits the Babyl file in Rmail without conversion.
This seems to be a bug.