GSoC and GDB/MI migration in Emacs

From: Dmitry Dzhus
Subject: GSoC and GDB/MI migration in Emacs
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:44:48 +0300

Greetings to all!

I am interested in participating in Summer of Code this year, willing to
contribute to Emacs and I'm looking for mentor, advice and more
information about Emacs GDB/MI migration project, listed on GNU ideas
page [1].

Although Emacs todo list has a lot of items, but I'm particularly
interested in this project because I have some experience in creating
Emacs interface to external programs (I maintain a very small package
emacs-shellfm [2]), which may be helpful in my future project. I'm
familiar with GDB itself as well, having used it to debug some of my C
code and even Emacs itself once (see Emacs bug 773).

I haven't studied the existing codebase (gdb-ui and gdb-mi packages)
thoroughly yet, so I'm unsure about complexity of this project, however,
I understand how such packages are organized and work generally.

Certainly participating in this project will get me in closer touch with
all debugging packages Emacs has, which will probably allow me to do
some work on refactoring them (which is a bigger project also listed on
[1]) in future.

Looking forward to hearing your comments and advice.

[1]: http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas.html
[2]: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/emacs-shellfm

--
http://sphinx.net.ru