[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Choosing a moment for the Bazaar switchover.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Choosing a moment for the Bazaar switchover.
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:02:55 -0400
User-agent: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/23.0.60 (gnu/linux)

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
> Yes.  You and the other heroes doing this switch are full of adrenalin
> at the moment.  That's going to go sour if you an indefinite 6 - 12
> months wait.

Oh, the heroes are Jason Earl, Andreas Schwab, and Sylvain Beucler.
(I'm enjoying doing this, but I'm also able to do it on work time, which
helps a lot of course.)

There is such a thing as momentum, yes...  My motivation won't sour, but
I have time to do this right now; can't speak for Jason, Andreas, and

> I say, convert as soon as possible.  Clearly Emacs 23 isn't anywhere
> near ready for release yet, and as you say, there's no good time to
> convert to a new VCS, just like there's no good time to have a baby.
> If we're assuming that bzr will help us work more efficiently than we're
> doing with CVS, then the sooner we make the change, the longer we'll be
> working more efficiently.  :-)  My gut feeling is that the saving we'll
> get from bzr will outweigh the effort of learning it well within the
> time up till 23.1's release.
> Let's do it now!

As you know, I favor this, for all the above reasons.  But Stefan and
Chong have to be on board with it.  Stefan has indicated that he prefers
to wait until we branch for release.  I'm waiting to see if they're
swayed by your excellent argument above :-).

All other questions in this thread, like what format will we use, etc,
I'm going to defer until we are "all systems go".  If I try to answer
the question now, then a) some of the answers will be obsolete by the
time we switch, and b) I will have forgotten a lot of them anyway.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]