Re[2]: font-lock patch for automated edits

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[2]: font-lock patch for automated edits
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 18:57:54 -0400

>>> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> seems to think that:
>>   I updated my version of Emacs from CVS recently, and this problem
>> still occurs.  I also have a simplified reproduction step.  Start with
>> this C++ file:
>
>> ----------
>> /* A comment */
>> /*
>>  * A multi-line comment
>>  */
>> -----------
>
>> Make sure font lock has fontified this entire buffer.
>> Mark the entirety of the multi-line comment, and use C-w to kill the
>> region.  Font lock will throw an error and stop auto-updating.
>
>I see now.  It appears to be a bug in c-extend-after-change-region
>(assigned to font-lock-extend-after-change-region-function) which
>returns a region that extends past the end of the buffer.
>
>Alan, can you take a look at it?  In the above recipe, it helps to do:
>M-: (setq fnt-lock-support-mode nil debug-on-error t) RET and then
>toggle font-lock-mode OFF and back ON before doing the C-w.

Thanks Stefan.  My .emacs is so old I had old font-lock-support stuff
in it trying to allow functionality between Emacs 20 and 21 and
various support modes that I think has the effect your M-: line above
creates.

Without the old config, thus enabling jit-lock-mode, my automated
editing test suites work fine when font lock is enabled.

Eric

--
          Eric Ludlam:                       address@hidden
   Siege: www.siege-engine.com          Emacs: http://cedet.sourceforge.net