Re: Low redisplay performance (23 regression)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Low redisplay performance (23 regression)
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 18:15:01 -0400

On Apr 21, 2009, at 4:53 PM, Chong Yidong wrote:

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

Without face-remapping and header line, I estimate the slowdown is
about 20% for me, a noticeable difference.

Try something for me:

 M-: (setq mode-line-format "") RET

This removes everything from the mode-line.  Does it make any
difference?

I tried (setq mode-line-format) and it doesn't make a noticeable difference.

I also tried (setq header-line-format "Hello"), which was reasonably fast.

Removing various face properties set for parts of the header line seems to make it go faster.

To recap, removing the more diverse face settings in face-remapping- alist helps, too. Also, removing font-locking helps.

Given the evidence, I wonder

1. Is the header line is drawn more often than it should? (scrolling shouldn't redraw it). 2. Does changing / setting / finding faces now incur more of a penalty now compared to 22.3?