"Invalid face reference" msg logged to *Messages* (but no error)

From: Drew Adams
Subject: "Invalid face reference" msg logged to *Messages* (but no error)
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 11:54:28 -0700

In GNU Emacs 23.0.93.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-05-02 on SOFT-MJASON, I
am seeing this logged to *Messages* at various points, with N = various
integers:

"Invalid face reference: quote [N times]"

Haven't been able to figure out where it's coming from yet. No error is raised
(why not?), so debug-on-error doesn't help. I assume that some code has (quote
foo) where Emacs is expecting just foo, and so it tries to interpret `quote' as
a face. But I haven't been able to track this down, to see if it is a problem
with my code or something else. I haven't noticed this in earlier builds of
Emacs 23 (or in other releases).

The only src directory I have for Emacs 23 dates from 2007. There I see this in
merge_face_ref:

      /* FACE_REF ought to be a face name.  */
      ok = merge_named_face (f, face_ref, to, named_merge_points);
      if (!ok && err_msgs)
        add_to_log ("Invalid face reference: %s", face_ref, Qnil);

Anyone have a clue about this error? Have you seen it?

[FWIW (no doubt unrelated), I've also seen this logged in *Messages*:
"Error during redisplay: (quit)". And of course I too still get this:
"Emergency (alloc): Warning: past 75% of memory limit"]