Re: mouse-face highlighting broken?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: mouse-face highlighting broken?
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 13:41:18 -0400

On May 6, 2009, at 11:42 AM, Chong Yidong wrote:

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

I'm trying to track down a problem with mouse faces, where some
portions of text propertized with the a mouse-face do not respect the
mouse face, or at least not the "background" attribute of the mouse
face.  The types of properties I am concerned with here are the
background of images and the space allocated using the display/
space/:width property.  (See also screenshot.)

It may be quicker for me to track down the problem in the code than to
compose a standalone bug report.  Could someone tell me where such
properties are evaluated?

Maybe handle_display_prop is what you want.

Thanks, but none of the few changes there cause my problem.

Can people on other systems try this:

(insert
 (propertize
  (concat "Hello"
          (propertize " " 'display '(space :width 40))
          "World")
  'mouse-face 'highlight
  ))

The highlight works ok in 22. In 23, only "Hello" and "World" are highlighted - the space in between is not.
As said above, the same applies to backgrounds of images.