Re: Need help with ad-do-it, it loops

From: Romain Francoise
Subject: Re: Need help with ad-do-it, it loops
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 16:51:48 +0200

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> I have asked Romain for a diff (see below), but I am unsure if
> that could be non-zero.

?!

As I told you in private mail already, I do a clean checkout every
time, there is absolutely no chance that the tree can have local
changes right after checkout.

But since you don't seem to believe it, here's the output of `cvs
diff' in my last snapshot directory:

$ pwd
/home/romain/Work/Debian/emacs-snapshot/tarballs/emacs-snapshot-20090509
$ cvs diff
$

Happy now?

Also, note that it doesn't actually tell you anything since the
Debian packaging applies a few patches, see:

 http://git.orebokech.com/?p=debian/emacs-snapshot.git;a=tree;f=patches

> Can someone please help us with this? Does "cvs update" ensure
> that the diff is zero (as Romain assumes below)?

You don't understand.  I do a cvs up to make sure that if someone
was doing a checkin in the time I was doing the checkout, my local
checkout contains everything.  That's needed because 1) people
commit each file separately in Emacs and 2) I'm not sure if CVS
checkouts are atomic by nature (although nowadays, they could be).