Re: other serious problems with non-English tutorials

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: other serious problems with non-English tutorials
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 12:22:25 -0400

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> writes:

> Starting `emacs -Q' within a German locale, `C-h t' opens the tutorial
> in a buffer named `TUTORIAL (German)'.  This is quite unfortunate for
> two reasons.
>
>   1. *All* translations have this wrong because they assume that the
>      name is `TUTORIAL.XX', where `XX' is a two-letter country code
>      (or `XX_YY' if language and country names differ).

Yes, I'll revert this change.

>   2. A language specific tutorial is now loaded into a buffer only; it
>      is no longer associated with a real file.  This invalidates big
>      parts of the translated tutorials; from a didactic point of view
>      it's a bad idea also IMHO.

I don't understand the problem.  The reason we put the tutorial in a
buffer is so that the reader can edit the buffer freely.

> Who is doing such careless changes without informing the translators?
> Since a new Emacs release will soon appear I ask to revert it,
> applying the changes afterwards, together with proper announcements!

As far as I know, the tutorial code has not changed significantly since
Emacs 22, when Lennart introduced tutorial.el.  We did ask the
translators to update the language-specific tutorials for the Emacs 22
release.  Either some changes slipped through the translation updates,
or some changes to the tutorial were put in after the tutorials were
updated; I don't know which.