Re: obby

From: joakim
Subject: Re: obby
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 11:53:44 +0200

Richard M Stallman <address@hidden> writes:

>     Another aproach I was thinking of was writing some kind of plugin for
>     the Swig wrapper generator for elisp. The idea is that Swig would be
>     persuaded to generate C stubs and low-level elisp api:s from a C library
>     .h file, like Swig already does for Java, Python and so on. I think this
>     aproach would both be fairly convenient(not as convenient as dynamic
>     linking of course) and safe from potential threats from dynamic linking.
>
> I can see how generating wrappers could be useful, but how could it help
> deal with the potential threat of non-free add-ons?

The wrappers would be statically linked. This would be the same
situation we have today, that is, elisp on top of statically linked
wrappers for dynamic libraries, for instance librsvg.

I should note that I dont fully understand why the GPL cant be relied on
to prevent linking to non-free dynamic libraries, so my analysis might
be flawed.

--
Joakim Verona