Re: Different buffer background depending on if window active

From: Sean O'Rourke
Subject: Re: Different buffer background depending on if window active
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 18:13:11 -0700

Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 11:19 PM, Deniz Dogan <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I've always wanted to have the currently active window in Emacs have a
>> different background color to see which one I'm currently "in" easier.
>>  One could imagine this as a part of a much larger change to have a
>> whole set of different parameters depending on the currently active
>> window.
>>
>> Has this feature been requested before?  Would it be cumbersome to
>> implement?  Is it desirable at all?  Can this be hacked together using
>> simple Emacs Lisp?
>
> An alternative that you can use is to customize the faces mode-line
> and mode-line-inactive.

At least on Cocoa/NextStep, you can set the frame parameter
`alpha' to a two-element list to have different alpha channels on
active and inactive frames.  I have

    (frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'alpha) ;; => (100 85)

which makes my other frame(s) slightly transparent.

I don't remember where I learned this, and have no idea where it
is documented.

/s