Re: I can see invisible characters

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: I can see invisible characters
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:17:37 -0400

>>> 4. Do `C-u C-x =': The first visible character in the buffer has
>>> set the `invisible' property.  It seems to be a bug that I can
>>> see that character.
>> I don't know about you, but I can't see it: it's not displayed.
> Attached is an image which shows what I get.

I see the same thing: the char is not displayed.

>>> It has also set the `intangible' property, and I can move the
>>> cursor on top of it (with the arrow keys, but not with C-a).
>>> This doesn't look right too...
>>> An off-by-one error?
>> I think that BOB and EOB are exceptions.
> Documented where?

Nowhere.  But note that the relevant info is the stickiness: if 3 chars
are marked as `intangible', point cannot be in the middle of them, and
depending on the front&rear-stickiness of the `intangible' property
point may or may not be allowed at either of the ends.
In your case, the property is not front-sticky, so point can be at
beginning of the intangible span, i.e. at BOB.  This is actually not an
exceptional case and should behave identically if it's not at BOB.

        Stefan