Re: enable-character-translation

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: enable-character-translation
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 10:59:13 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>>> Oops, I've forgotten to implement it in coding.c of emacs-unicode
>>> version.  Emacs 22 surely payed attention to that variable.  I'm going
>>> to implement it if there's no objection.  The change will be
>>> quite small.
> >
> > Since nobody noticed the absence of the feature, it sounds like a great
> > way to waste time ;-)

> Well, nobody _complained_ about its absence ...

That's not a positive argument to delete some feature from
Emacs.  To decide to delete some feature, I think we should
have some more strong reason (i.e. keeping the feature is
difficult/impossible, it is found that the feature conflicts
with some other part of Emacs).

Perhaps we don't have enough heavy CJK pretesters who are
playing with various kind of text decoding.  I myself used
to set that variable to nil while debugging some coding
system that has decode/encode-translation-table.  In Emacs
22, we have many such coding systems, but now we have just
one (eucjp-ms).  So, the importance of this variable is
surely small now, but still...

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden