frame visibility wrong after redisplay

From: David Reitter
Subject: frame visibility wrong after redisplay
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 09:30:02 -0400

I'm still trying to fix #3303, and the problem I am seeing now is that FRAME_VISIBLE_P returns the wrong value.

In the NS port, but not on GNU/Linux (or perhaps X), I get the following behavior when evaluating this expression:

(let ((f (selected-frame)))
  (make-frame)
  (make-frame-invisible f t)
  (setq aa2v (frame-visible-p f))
  (redisplay)
  (setq aa3v (frame-visible-p f)))

(list aa2v aa3v) is, surprisingly, '(nil t).

Why is the frame deemed visible after the redisplay when it is, in fact, invisible?

What should I look for here?
I think drawrect: is called for the view of that frame, which sets async_visible (unclear why that's done there). Why?

This is what's causing much pain somewhere else where we need to decide how to correctly raise it.