Re: minibuffer-scroll-window question

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: minibuffer-scroll-window question
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:58:37 -0400

> (defun my-minibuffer-setup-hook ()
>   "try to force the scroll window to be the bottom-left window in the
> current frame"
>   (setq minibuffer-scroll-window (window-at 0 (- (frame-height) 2))))
> (add-hook 'minibuffer-setup-hook 'my-minibuffer-setup-hook)

> However, in minibuf.c, the defun 'minibuffer-complete sets the
> minibuf_scroll_window variable to nil.

> So, my question is, how and when can this variable be meaningfully used by
> an end user?  Should my hook have worked (i.e. this behavior is a bug)?

It was not intended to be set by the end user, it's supposed to be
*read* instead (so you can't decide where to put the "scroll window"
but you can figure out which window it is).

To tell you the truth, I think it's largely unsatisfactory, not only
because you can't do what you want, but also because that variable
can point to different buffers in different cases.

In your case, which buffer do you expect to see in that scroll window?
The *Completions* buffer?  In that case, maybe you'll be better off
using special-display-buffer-names to control how/where *Completions*
get displayed.

        Stefan