Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 08:56:08 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> The inflamed tone of this thread is one of the reasons why I think
> more than ever that this setting is only a question of personal taste.

I'm one of those who like the new behavior, but I agree that one might
run into troubles with keyboard macros.  IMO that's the only point where
the new behavior has some disadvantages which are not personal
preferences.  And I also agree that there are other features which may
screw up macros as well and nobody objected to them; unfortunately I
don't know which ones -- so at least they didn't bite me till now.

Ok, so what I wanted to propose instead some special handling of
line-move-visual in keyboard macros is the addition of two hook
`before-kbd-macro-hook' and `after-kbd-macro-hook' which are run before
and after the definition and execution of keyboard macros.  Then users
can decide the value of line-move-visual and others depending on the
current buffer's mode or the lunar phase in macros, no matter the
default or user-specified value.

I think that's a reasonable solution, much better than any special
hardcoding or workarounds like `M-x toggle-word-wrap' before each macro
definition/execution.

Bye,
Tassilo