Re: please make line-move-visual nil

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: please make line-move-visual nil
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:12:46 -0400

   > I disagree with Eli that defaults are "only" defaults: they're
   > the settings we impose on new users, and are critically
   > important. �If they're bad defaults, they could irritate and
   > exasperate users for months or years before those users
   > eventually change them. �(C-n adding new lines onto the ends of
   > files (which was the default in Emacs <= 20) springs to mind
   > here).

   I guess new users will in most cases appreciate the change (since
   it makes Emacs behave more like other editing environments), but
   old timers will a bit more often dislike it.

Guessing is something everyone can do; instead a poll is a better
measurement of what users, new and old will like or dislike.