Re: Emacs on Windows keeps complaining: the directory ... is unsafe.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs on Windows keeps complaining: the directory ... is unsafe.
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 23:00:31 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > By the way, was the .emacs.d directory created originally by some
>> > Cygwin tool?
>>
>> That happened long time ago. However, I doubt that anything else than
>> emacs created that directory.
>
> Hmm, strange.  That would mean something's changed in Emacs since
> then, but I don't think make-directory was ever changed on Windows wrt
> file ownership.  We just call a Windows _mkdir function.

The mystery is solved: on the past my home directory changed. I checked
that copying a directory with Explorer reassigns the owner to
Administrators. It keeps the owner with cut&paste, but my custom is to
leave the original behind and certainly used copy&paste when migrated
the contents from the old home directory to the new one.

I guess the same is applicable to other tools that assigns the ownership
to Administrators, such as CMD, the MSYS shell, etc.

--
Óscar