Re: C-h, F1, Backspace, and splash screen

From: Ken Brown
Subject: Re: C-h, F1, Backspace, and splash screen
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:34:25 -0400

On 5/28/2009 2:22 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
packages up to date.  One annoyance that I've encountered, which may not be
cygwin specific, is that C-h is not available as the help key when emacs is
run in a text terminal.  I've looked at the documentation for

Nowadays under X11, this is considered as a bug in the
terminal's configuration (i.e. most/all terminals don't use C-h for the
backspace key any more).  Can't you fix the text terminal?

I think I wasn't specific enough in asking my question, though your answer might be the same. The problem doesn't occur under X11. It occurs in various terminals running outside of X (rxvt, mintty,...). It's true that the terminals can be configured so that backspace doesn't send C-h, but I'm trying to set things up to work nicely with the default cygwin configuration, in which backspace sends C-h. I don't have any control over these defaults.

Ken