Re: default-directory safe file local variable but no check for same if

From: MON KEY
Subject: Re: default-directory safe file local variable but no check for same if file-exists-p
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:50:48 -0400

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Stefan Monnier<address@hidden> wrote:
> It shouldn't.  Even under normal circumstances, default-directory may
> point to a non-existing directory (e.g. because it existed when the
> buffer was created, but has been removed in the mean time).

Ok. Thank you. That makes sense.

I'm sure this is all very well thought out, and I apologize if this
comes across as foolish, but out of curiosity does this account for
procedures such as `process-file', `call-process', `start-process',
`start-file-process' etc. which base their file-handlers on the
`default-directory' value?

e.g. the default-directory doesn't exist at buffer creation, a
sub-process (synchronous or otherwise) comes along, attempts to take
residence in default directory, and not finding a 'there' there,
proceeds to build himself a new home.

s_P