[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Pretest and branch on Friday June 19

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Pretest and branch on Friday June 19
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:11:16 -0400
User-agent: Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/23.0.94 (gnu/linux)

>> I'm not certain what version number to assign the trunk after branching.
>> I'm inclined to use 23.1.50, which assumes we'll use the trunk for
>> developing 23.2.  Maybe this is optimistic; as many will recall, what
>> ended up as Emacs 22 was originally slated for 21.3.  Opinions welcome.

It's indeed possible that we end up releasing a 23.2 that's
bug-fix only.  But I wouldn't worry too much about version numbers in
this respect.

> I don't think there are major changes like multi-tty or unicode
> pending, but there are a lot of minor features being held back, so
> 23.1.50 seems appropriate to me.

Indeed, the plan for 23.2 is to add various non-disruptive features
(packages, ...).  If we start with the safest ones, we can minimize the
risk of having to release 23.2 from the 23.1 branch.

> When someone comes up with a major new feature (collaborative editing,
> or bidi becoming close to usable), we can develop that on a branch
> like was done with unicode and multi-tty (hopefully by then we will be
> using bzr).

AFAIK the major upcoming features for 24 would be lexical scoping
and bidi.  Collaborative editing might be doable without major changes.

This said, I'd like to know what's the Bzr story.  We're pretty much
at the point where we'd be happy to do the switch, so we should get
read"y for it.  But if there are still things missing, it'll have to wait
for "post release".


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]