Re: Ignoring entries starting with space

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Ignoring entries starting with space
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 02:00:49 +0300

> The same way it is possible to delete duplicates in minibuffer history, I
> think it is also very useful to have the possibility to ignore entries
> starting with space(s). The new variable `history-ignore-space' would take
> care of this, being `nil' its defaut value.

I think it's good since bash provides this option in HISTCONTROL
and it is useful:

  HISTCONTROL
    A colon-separated list of values controlling how commands are saved
    on the history list.

    If the list of values includes ignorespace, lines which begin with
    a space character are not saved in the history list.

    A value of ignoredups causes lines matching the previous history
    entry to not be saved.

    A value of ignoreboth is shorthand for ignorespace and ignoredups.

    A value of erasedups causes all previous lines matching the current
    line to be removed from the history list before that line is saved.

We already have `history-delete-duplicates' that corresponds to the bash
option `ignoredups'.  So a new option that corresponds to `ignorespace'
would be good too.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/