Re: moving SCCS later in vc-handled-backends

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: moving SCCS later in vc-handled-backends
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 14:59:31 +0900

Dan Nicolaescu writes:

 > Can you please give some more details here?

I just read the docs, which claim there is a good reason for file-
oriented VCSes to come first.  If the docs are wrong, they should be
fixed.

As far as I know this has always been rare.  The whole idea is quite
possibly obsolete according to what you say about the actual behavior
of vc, but if anybody still cares the change you're suggesting will be
a subtle change in behavior that will be intermittent and possibly
hard to diagnose.  I've found that it's almost always better to change
DWIM to "do nothing" as opposed to "do what somebody else means".

 > An example would be even better.
 > vc does not decide a file is controlled by some VCS just based on the
 > presence of a directory, it actually tries to see if that file is
 > controlled by that VCS.
 > The ordering matters when the same file is controlled by multiple VCS,
 > vc will choose the first one in vc-handled-backends.

AFAIK it will also do this if it's controlled by no backend, too.