Re: Sending attachments

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 20:16:15 -0400

    > Etach has a convenient interface M-x attach which attaches a file in
    > the message in the current buffer.

    As does MML (mml-attach-file).

It isn't in the emacs-mime manual so I did not know about it.  I tried
it just now.  It asked me a lot of questions and then inserted this
text.

<#part type="text/x-sh" filename="~/foo.sh" disposition=inline description=foo>
<#/part>

I suppose this is MML and needs to get converted later.
However, when I sent the message with C-c C-c, it did not convert.
I don't see that it set up any hook to do so.

After a lot of searching thru that manual I found the function
mml-to-mime.

If mml-to-mime were put on a hook so that C-c C-c would call it, this
feature would be usable.  A suitable front-end to mml-attach-file
could avoid asking all the annoying questions.  It would only be
necessary to document it.

However, that hook could also cause trouble, since it might
trigger by accident when users did not intend it.

Another drawback, compared with etach-detach, is that you don't see
what is really going to appear in the message.