Re: VC top of the tree diff and log

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: VC top of the tree diff and log
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 23:48:53 -0700 (PDT)

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

  > Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
  > >   > Would be useful, though I dunno what you'd bind it too... at some
point
  > >   > having too many bindings for essentially-similar-commands becomes kind
  > >   > of annoying/confusing.
  > >
  > > I am thinking that we could have 2 modes for the log:
  > > - a short one that would be used by default for directory logs
  > > - the current long one that would be used for file logs
  > > (I haven't completely thought this through)...
  >
  > I normally am interested in exactly the same thing from either file or
  > project logs:  detailed info about the last few changesets.  I use short
  > logs too (when I'm trying to discover longer-term trends instead of
  > detailed info), but there seems no connection with whether I restrict
  > the scope to a file or not.
  >
  > What sounds nice to me would be a quick "toggle log mode" binding in the
  > log display buffer (with caching so it's fast, and smart preservation of
  > point position in the log, etc), or maybe even better, a "toggle
  > detailed info for this entry" binding, but maybe those aren't so easy to
  > implement in emacs...  [Hmm... "*" comes to mind for some reason, though
  > I have no idea why...]

Toggling between long and short logs for the whole log is not hard.
I can implement this, the we can decide on the UI

I am not convinced that "toggle detailed info for this entry" is very
useful.  If the detailed info is displayed in a different window, it
should not be too hard either (if the underlying VCS has some easy way to
retrieve such info).

  > As far as global vs. file logs, I think maybe I'd prefer to _always_ get
  > global logs in git/svn/... but with some slight hint about the file when
  > invoked from a file buffer -- e.g., maybe display entries not related to
  > the file in a "dim" face, and initially position the cursor on the first
  > modification to the file, etc.  My reasoning is that I don't think I
  > really mean "show me the history of this file", when I use "C-x v l",
  > but rather "show me recent history of the project, given that I happen
  > to be in a file in that project".  [Real file logs would be nice too,
  > when there's too much chaff, but they seem secondary, rather than
  > primary.]

I don't want to see global history when looking at a file , the VCS does
not matter.
After working with source trees that are > 1GB and tens of thousands of
files...