Re: line-move-visual

From: Scot Becker
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:22:47 +0100

by Miles:
...simple themed customization groups ("get off my lawn", "windows
luser", ...), which present focused groups of settings for the user to
tweak at his pleasure

Sure, that'd be great. And fair enough with 'coaching users through
incremental changes' rather than 'changing a raft of things in one
fell swoop'.   A few helpful additions would be that (1) there would
be a way for users to create such customization groups for
distribution to other users.  They wouldn't be hard-coded, like
today's customization groups (apparently are).

And (2) ideally there'd be the opportunity to optionally include
extended user documentation in amongst the variables to give guidance
beyond what one might find in the docstrings.  The docstrings can be a
bit minimal if what you want to do is explain the significance of
various choices to a user who is only now encountering some new
concept lying behind a variable.

Lastly, it would be nice to have a way for such customization groups
to specify: "If external library X is available, customize variable
ext-lib-X-groovy, and fail gracefully if not ("If you had optional
package X loaded, you would also be able to customize these variables
here:")

This way it would be useful for the present purpose, as well as for
package writers who want to draw attention to a set of variables whose
interaction with their package the user might want to consider.  It
could also be useful for my  "Emacs for writers" config-file disto,
and someone else's "Emacs for coders in functional languages"
config-distro, etc.

And your names are great (get off my lawn and windows luser).

Scot