Re: line-move-visual

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: line-move-visual
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 15:13:24 +0900

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm using <up> and <down> (arrow keys) for visual line move,
> and C-p and C-n for logical line move.  At least, this
> setting please myself all the time.

I actually used to do this myself -- I had my own "visual line move"
commands, bound to C-S-p / C-S-n.

However even that was annoying, mostly because since wrapped lines are
in fact, rare, I would almost always first do the wrong thing and then
have to correct it:  C-p, end up in the wrong place, curse, move back
down with C-n, and then visually move up again with C-S-p.

In other words, despite knowing about the issue and having my fingers
trained for over 20 years using traditional C-p, _still_ I would often
instinctively expect visual behavior.  It was a palpable relief when
Emacs adopted its current behavior.

Guilt, n. The condition of one who is known to have committed an indiscretion,
as distinguished from the state of him who has covered his tracks.