Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 19:30:57 +0100

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

Yes, we both agree on what is happening.  My point is that the contents
of .dir-locals.el should not override explicit values given by the user
in his .emacs.

Sorry, but isn't the point of .dir-locals.el to override settings on a project tree specific basis, like file locals only for whole directory trees? Wouldn't it'd be weird if .emacs "won" ?

I mean, I can see that yes, one might ALSO want a different kind of .dir-local.el or file-local setting that doesn't (In the common lisp case that could be handled by defvar vs. defparameter, say...)

(The thing that irritates me about dir-locals is their syntactic incompatiblity with file-locals. If I want to promote a file local I've been setting on a bunch of files to directory local, AFAIK I need to rejig the syntax.)