Re: select-active-regions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: select-active-regions
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 22:23:54 +0300

> Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:48:14 +0100
> From: David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
> Cc: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Now, why would it be wrong to translate this to mean that the
> > shift-selected stretch of text be copied to the Windows clipboard?
> >

> Because the windows clipboard is analogous to the X11 clipboard, not
> the X11 primary.

The Windows clipboard is also analogous to the X11 primary selection,
in that copy/paste work on Windows through the clipboard.

In other words, when there's only one interprogram buffer to put
selected text, it is analogous to all the X selection facilities.

Anyway, I'm unconvinced.  The MS-DOS port will copy to the clipboard
under select-active-regions.  For the w32 build, I'd like to hear
other maintainers who work on the w32 build, but my opinion is that it
should do that as well.