Re: select-active-regions

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: select-active-regions
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 22:41:34 +0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
The Windows clipboard is also analogous to the X11 primary selection,
in that copy/paste work on Windows through the clipboard.
No, it is not analogous to the X11 primary selection, as the X11 primary selection does not clobber the clipboard as any emulation of primary selections using the clipboard necessarily would.

Anyway, I'm unconvinced.  The MS-DOS port will copy to the clipboard
under select-active-regions.  For the w32 build, I'd like to hear
other maintainers who work on the w32 build, but my opinion is that it
should do that as well.

IIRC, Emacs on w32 used to emulate primary selections in the way you describe, but it triggered many bug reports about Emacs destroying clipboard contents when the user selected text in Emacs for reasons other than killing or copying the region.