Re: applying .dir-locals.el settings when buffer-file-name is nil

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: applying .dir-locals.el settings when buffer-file-name is nil
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 21:21:01 +0300

> .dir-locals.el settings do not apply to buffers when (null
> buffer-file-name) even when `default-directory' for those buffers is
> dominated by .dir-locals.el.
>
> VC for example creates buffers for which it would be good to be able to
> have .dir-locals.el.  Examples: the log-edit-mode buffers - be able to
> set some checkin rules, or automatically add things to the commit
> message,  the vc-diff buffers  - show trailing whitespace, etc.

I noticed this limitation as well and know no reason why it should be.
For file-local variables it is justified because only file can hold a list
of file-local variables.  But I think dir-local variables should have
a wider coverage including non-file buffers.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/