Re: select-active-regions

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: select-active-regions
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 20:36:21 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

It's analogous in the sense that killing puts text there and yanking
gets text from there.

When killing, emacs on X11 places text in
primary if x-select-enable-primary is t
clipboard if x-select-enable-clipboard is t

When yanking, emacs on x11 gets text from
primary if x-select-enable-primary is t
clipboard if x-select-enable-clipboard is t

(They could maybe be decoupled into incoming and outgoing settings, but that's another story...)

So on X11, I:
set x-select-enable-primary to nil
set x-select-enable-clipboard to t
set select-active-regions to t, so that the active region is sent to primary.

Now, not all x11 emacs users like that convention, but that's why x11 emacs supports several. I can set things to my liking as above, and all without screwing up things for other emacs users.

I don't see why, if for some reason I was using msdos/w16 or w32 emacs (not especially likely for me personally, yay for windows' near total lack of penetration into HPC, but anyway), the native port there shouldn't be able to emulate the convention I like as best it can.

i.e. If I'm used to select-active-regions working without clobbering the clipboard on X11, why the holy hell should it clobber the clipboard on Windows? Presumably only self-self primary interactions will work on Windows since emacs emulates primary internally, but they do constitute a distinctly nonzero proportion of my primary interactions.

> Anyway, do you think it is better to have this feature effectively
> disabled on Windows, than copy into the clipboard?

You've missed the option of having it work as on x11 for emacs-emacs interactions (that is _not_ "effectively disabled") but not copying to the clipboard. I don't know why, other than the possibility you've misunderstood some or all of X11 clipboard, X11 primary, or the purpose of select-active-regions.

I'm not sure if emacs w32 works under wine, but if it does I can try to look at:

(a) making it customizable whether select-active-regions hits the clipboard and/or primary (already sent a patch that does that...)

(b) look at using an idle timer hack or something on w32 to make it in fact work right all if told to hit the w32 clipboard (I presently think it will break or at best correspond to pre-bug-#902-fix incorrect behaviour without attention there). (not quite trivial)

(c) do so in a manner that _doesn't_ preclude w32's primary emulation being improved in future.