Re: Gnus branches and sync with Emacs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Gnus branches and sync with Emacs
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 21:06:49 -0400

>> (The recent change of `mail-user-agent' may or may not be consistent
>> with this plan.  What's not clear right now is the amount of changes
>> that need to be applied to sort out the incompatibilies between
>> mail-mode and message-mode.  If the required changes end up being too
>> destabilizing, we should either switch mail-user-agent back, or fall
>> back on the alternative plan of using the 23.1 branch for 23.2.)

> I don't think the change of `mail-user-agent' an Richard's intends WRT
> mail-mode/rf2047/mm-* are consistent with this plan, so I'm quite
> puzzled about the plans for the Emacs trunk.

AFAIK the change of mail-user-agent is not a problem in this regard (we
don't actually need to make message-mode compatible with mail-mode; we
just need to avertise the change more prominently).  But between
gdb-mi.el and the rfc2047 plans, I agree that it looks like trunk is not
headed for a very-short cycle.  So we may very well release a 23.2 from
the release branch rather than from the trunk.  I'm not too worried
about it, tho.

        Stefan