Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Why Emacs should have a good web-browser
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:52:59 +0100

On Jul 21, 2009, at 4:52 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
It might be possible to use one of those engines as Emacs's rendering
engine, indeed.  To me, it wouldn't seem like an good solution to the
problem at hand because I don't think it would allow me to control the
web-browser from Emacs (e.g., how would I access from Elisp the content
of pages generated from HTML?).

JS / DOM has worked this out quite well, and the implementations provide a security model.

 So it'd be more like embedding Emacs
inside a normal browser.  It's not a bad idea, but I don't think it'll
provide as many benefits from Emacs's point of view.

It would be fantastic to be able to use Emacs directly inside text areas of Firefox. There's a simple plugin that lets users edit text from text boxes in an external text editor, but that's nowhere nearly as nice as having a little Emacs window displayed right in place of the text box.