Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 18:08:27 +0200

> I did not mean giving the zero height ot width. That would be
> confusing. I meant visibility as a new property.

Whose going to handle that property?  The display-engine?

> - Rotate
> - Transpose

What's the precise semantics of these operations?  Which window
variables should be changed?  I suppose what you mean is shuffling
around the buffers displayed in those windows.

> - Resizing.
>
> Actually the reszing code when putting back a window tree in winsav
> was one of the most frustrating pieces of code I have written because
> it had to fight what the C code was doing. I think the resizing code
> is one of those pieces that should be written in C. It should be much
> more simple there (the logic I mean ...).

The resizing logic is the most difficult one (IMHO also due to the fact
that Emacs is allowed to delete windows when they get to small).  What's
worse is that in most cases resizing operations are not reversible.
That is, starting from an initial configuration, enlarging some window
first and shrinking it by the same amount afterwards often won't get you
back to the initial configuration.  However, resizing is a problem ECB
users should have got used to.  IIRC they can always refetch a specific
configuration from a set of saved ones.

martin