Re: reducing emacs size by more frequent garbage-collect in loadup.el

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: reducing emacs size by more frequent garbage-collect in loadup.el
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:00:58 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > I'd rather not uglify loadup.el with tons of calls to garbage-collect,
 > but maybe it's OK to replace all calls to load by calls to load&gc.
 > BTW, how does it affect the time to dump Emacs?

I don't recall the mechanism offhand, but XEmacs has always (for
values of "always" == as long as I've known anything about the dump
process) gc'd after every load during dump.  This has caused zero
complaints that I am aware of.

For developers, there's an optional --quickbuild configure option
which disables GC entirely during the default make (as well as not
generating info or DOC or finder.el, etc).  Obviously not something
you want for a production Emacs, but may be just the ticket for people
doing delicate work on the C code or Lisp primitives.