Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 16:36:26 +0200

>> `window-parent' and `window-children' would be trivial.  Providing
>> `set-window-children' is hardly feasible IMHO.  Who'd be responsible for
>> calculating the respective sizes?
>
> Currently split-window does, and that doesn't seem particularly
> complicated.

Because it doesn't split internal windows.  Anyway `enlarge-window' and
`delete-window' which eventually wind up calling size_window are more
complicated.

> Certainly set-window-children has to do a fair bit of sanity checking,
> but it's not going to be any greater than that currently done by
> split-window, and that function isn't all that complicated.

`set-window-children' with arguments nil?

> Hmm, I dunno why it's hard -- just copy the appropriate bits from
split-window.

Anything that doesn't resize other windows is easy.  Everything that
does is complicated.  Believe me, there's a couple of bugs in the C code
implementing resizing.

> Maybe set-window-children would end up being mostly sanity-checking
> code, but that's OK -- it'll probably be smaller than split-window, and
> will serve as a nice low-level interface.

Obviously, if you leave the size-handling code in C.

>> martin, whose `switch-to-buffer' is in window.el
>
> Wait... switch-to-buffer is in C...

Not mine ;-)

martin