Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:28:46 +0200

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 5:02 PM, martin rudalics<address@hidden> wrote:

>>> I suppose we agree that it's much simpler when we can set the window
>>> sizes directly (and apply any frame resizing afterwards).
>>
>> Hm, maybe ... ;-)
>>
>> I do not understand how you mean. But yes, if the sizes can be kept
>> (or interpreted) as relative sizes when doing frame resizing.
>
> I mean that you first have to build the new window tree with the stored
> sizes.  If the size of the target frame (or window) differs from that of
> the source frame (window) you have to resize the windows in the target
> (a process which is certainly not guaranteed to keep relative sizes and,
> in the worst case, may even delete windows).

What I mean is that maybe you have more freedom there when you do this
internally. Can't you for example calculate the sizes going down the
tree before actually applying them to the windows? Can't you this way
calculate all the sizes before applying them? You may then of course
have to store them node by node by node, but there will be no
surprises when you apply them, or?