Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:39:34 +0200

>> Interesting.  But doesn't `tile-frames' tile in one direction only?
>
> Yes, horizontally _or_ vertically; not both at once.

Too bad.  I suppose Thomas wants them both at the same time.

>> BTW, do you enlarge frames when changing fonts?
>
> If you're referring to `enlarge-font', yes.
>
> But I use my library `zoom-frm.el', with commands `zoom-in' and `zoom-out'.
They
> let you zoom either by enlarging/shrinking the frame font (a la
`enlarge-font')
> or the buffer text (a la `text-scale-decrease' - Emacs 23 only). `C-u' acts
as a
> toggle between the two modes.
>
> In the first case (`enlarge-font'), yes, the frame size changes with the font
> size.

So you probably can't assure that two frames displayed above each other
match the height of another frame displayed on the side of them.  This
is the problem that a frame layout mechanism has to solve.  We do need
functions like `set-frame-pixel-height' and `set-frame-pixel-width'.

> And for the text-scaling mode, I use the patch I sent to the list (with zero
> response), which automatically adjusts the window or frame size to accommodate
> the font-size change. But that resizing is controlled by a user option.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/face-remap%2b.el - user option to control
whether
> window/frame resizes to reflect font size change
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts#ChangingFontSize - description of my
> font resizing stuff (zoom-frm.el, frame-cmds.el, face-remap+.el).

I have to admit that I'm not interested in frame resizing functions as
long as the the current line/columns restrictions prevail.  I simply use
one maximized frame all the time (which is not perfect either but I try
to not look at the echo-area too often).

>> What are your experiences with window manager interventions
>> when using such layed-out frames?
>
> Sorry, dunno what you mean. I use MS Windows - dunno about other window mgrs.
> What kind of interventions did you have in mind?

I meant how window manager interventions like displaying/deleting the
windows of other applications can affect the layout of your Emacs
frames.  I suppose they don't.  So at least on Windows the problem of a
window manager interfering with the layout of individual Emacs frames
doesn't seem to exist ;-)

martin