Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 21:10:23 -0700

On Jul 31, 2009, at 8:21 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

   More specifically, it's a combination of the Open Scripting
   Architecture and the AppleScript programming language. OSA is a
mechanism which allows applications to expose functionality to other
   programs in order to automate tasks.

   Access to this functionality is provided by way of OSA Scripting
Components, which is a way to plug new programming languages into OSA.
   There are components available for free languages, such as Ruby,
   JavaScript, and Python.

If it is normal for apps on MacOS to expose their functionality for
access thru OSA, I think it is proper for Emacs to follow.

It would be very nice, though I don't know what's involved to make it work. I'd prefer to see the existing problems with the NS port fixed.

Is this the functionality that some have said is comparable to Dbus?

I'm not familiar with D-Bus, so I can't say.

   The AppleScript support in the Cocoa port allows one to execute
   AppleScripts from inside Emacs to control Mac OS or applications
   running on it.

Surely this is something that most apps don't have.  So we should
delete this from Emacs.

Most apps don't do what Emacs does. The programs I'm aware of which have a similar capability (Script Editor and Xcode) are tools for developing and testing software, as Emacs is. So it's not inconsistent to maintain it.

I think it would be unfortunate if it were removed. As Emacs can be used to develop AppleScript (or other OSA supported languages) this feature would be needed to run them from within Emacs to test the code. Without it, you must rely on other tools outside of Emacs for this functionality.

 - Ian