Re: gcc 4.2 dump problems

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: gcc 4.2 dump problems
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 11:24:03 -0700 (PDT)

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

  > It turns out that you can't build Emacs with gcc 4.2 on Macs, and gcc
  > 4.2 is probably the compiler of choice for the upcoming OS X version.
  > The new gcc version is not the only problem, but it seems that using
  > gcc 4.2 on any version of OS X will reproduce the issue.
  >
  > I don't suppose people have problems with 4.2 on non-Mach-O object
  > file architectures?

I don't use gcc-4.2 anymore, but I've never seen such problems with it
on GNU/Linux while using it.

How did you determine that gcc-4.2 is the problem?

Did you try different versions of gcc on the same machine, keeping the
same version of binutils, and only gcc-4.2 had problems?

Have you tried compiling with -O0 ?  Did you also have problems when using -O0 ?