Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 13:55:37 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > A quick test shows that Firefox handles the issue by letting the
 > window-manager shrink the window at will (down to 1x1 pixels), but its
 > content stops shrinking at some point (so some of the content is
 > clipped).

FWIW, this is exactly the policy I suggested.  So Mozilla has a time
machine ....

 > OTOH Empathy and Evolution seem to impose some minimal size below which
 > the window doesn't shrink.  I don't know enough about the underlying
 > protocol to know how they might do that, but presumably it's either done
 > by telling the W-M beforehand what is the minimal size,

That's it.  In X11, these are called "window manager hints", and as
the name suggests, the window manager is free to ignore them.  If the
user doesn't like that behavior, they'll install a different window
manager, so you had better be prepared to deal with such window
managers -- it's the user's preference.

 > or it's done after the fact by "rejecting" the resize request.

Can't be done in X11, I don't know about other GUIs.